Monday, March 24, 2008

Baptism

A few years ago a good friend, Ed, told me "God will get ya, you will find Him someday!" Of course me being me back then just said, "Yeah maybe when hell freezes over!" So I called Ed last week to tell him I was getting baptized Easter weekend he was very excited for me. When I asked him if he was surprised he said No because he had faith it was going to happen someday. I still remember when I was very pregnant with Michael and every day at work Ed would say the same scripture to Michael in my belly. He said my son was going to know the Word before he was born. At the time I humored him and let him do it as I giggled and rolled my eyes with that whatever attitude I had. I now use the Bible that Ed gave me that I had stuffed in a drawer since he gave it to me. It is now one of my most prized possessions.
So because I said I would believe in God when hell froze over there have been a few jokes going around in the last week or so that it is all my fault that Quincy is having an unusually cold spring and that the snow just doesn't want to go away here in Anchorage. ;)
So this last weekend I was baptized at Changepoint and let me tell you it is the best feeling in the world. As I sat in the water and they read my story and I just kept thinking about how different things were before. It is hard to put into words what it felt like but here is kinda how it was for me. It's like being trapped in a pitch black room. You can't see anything or go anywhere. It's lonely and sad. You're stuck. Then you see a light leading you up these stairs. There are broken and cracked stairs on the way up so it not easy but you feel "something" guiding you and when you get to the top you feel someone wrapping you in their arms and you feel safe. You can now see everything and you have an overwhelming feeling of freedom.
So long story even longer, hehe..... When I was in the water it felt like His arms were around me protecting me. He was pulling me out of the darkness so I could see. It is the most powerful thing I have ever felt, so powerful that my legs were shaking so bad that I had to be helped out of the water by an usher. I thought for sure I was going to fall.
So that is my very long story and I just hope it touches someone the way some people in my life have touched me.
I also want to thank Michelle, my sister-in-law for being there with me. She got baptized right after I did. It was awesome that we got to do this together. Love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you, and thank you for being there with me. It meant the world to me.