Friday, June 13, 2008

Grandma

I know I am luckier than most because most people don't even get to know thier Great Grandparents. Well this morning we lost Great Grandma Sybil Pearl. My brother called me when I was getting ready to go to Vacation Bible School and I had to ask God for the strength to get through the first part of this day. I wanted to be there for those kids no matter what.
The last few years Grandma didn't even know who anyone wasso she never even got to find out that I was finally able to have a child, which was something that she had always prayed for. I guess now she will know.
We have a lot of great memories of our Grandma. She taught me how to play the piano/organ when I was pretty young. Taught me how to cook. Taught me how to crochet. She helped my Dad raise us after our parents divorce so we were with her a lot. One of my favorite things to do with her and Grandpa even as I got older was to go to their house and play Dominoes or a card game called Hand and Foot. My brother and I used to take the corn left over after freezing when we were younger and set up a table in the front yard and sell it to cars that went by. Making homemade strawberry shortcake with strawberries straight out of the garden. Snapping wheel barrels full of peas. She made us work hard but it was fun work. We even made homemade grape juice from the grapes she grew. I think the only thing she bought from the store was hot dogs and milk. It's funny to think of that but every Sunday after church we'd stop at the store for milk and hot dogs. She taught me a lot. Life lessons I will never forget. The memories I have of her and I in the kitchen and in the garden, her telling me stories about her childhood are some of the best. Her teaching me how to drive that old dodge car. She would only let me drive from the house down the dirt road to the pivot circle. Man she would never let me go out on the road. I used to drive her places after I got my license and she got a little older. She would tap my leg if she thought I was going to fast and wouldn't let me turn the radio on because "it is too distracting". Not so funny then but very funny now. Wonderful memories. :)
We also got some good old fashioned whoopins from Grandma. But of course she let us choose our own switch off the willow tree. Bad idea by the way. You'd think the small ones would hurt less. Not so much. Anthony and I learned pretty quick about that one. Ah memories. Makes my butt soar just thinking about it. ;)

We love you Gramma.

No comments: